«Built in 1901» claims the memorial stone in front of the entrance to the Art Nouveau villa designed by architect Karl Moser. But the Langmatt was built neither in a day nor in a year. Since the Brown family moved into their stately home, it has undergone a series of structural metamorphoses that tell of changing demands. The growing collection of paintings, for example, soon demanded a gallery extension, or the interior decoration was partly adapted to the French origins of the Impressionists. Historical plans, correspondence and building invoices, photographic views and architectural trouvailles trace the eventful history from an intimate place of work and residence to a museum open to the public.
Since 2019, the Display Window Archive (Schaufenster Archiv) has been displaying selected archival materials from the extensive holdings of the Museum Archive on a theme that changes twice a year. Since 2021, the format has been given its own presentation room on the upper floor of the Langmatt, which allows for small cabinet exhibitions.
Large parts of the archive were systematically indexed and partially digitised in 2017–18. It contains, among other things, certificates, letters, postcards, diaries and photographs from the Brown family estate. The time frame of the documents spans the years 1850 to 1987.
Main picture: Exhibition view Display Window Archive: Architectural Monument Langmatt
Events (in German)
Sun, 5.3.2023, 11–12 hrs
Heiko Dobler, Monument Preservation Canton Aargau, in conversation with Jonas Huggenberger, Scientific Researcher, Collection
Wed, 24.5.2023, 15–15.30 hrs
Guided tour with Jonas Huggenberger, Scientific Researcher, Collection